Sunday 22 January 2012

Milton Jones - The House of Rooms [Review]

It's not often I watch a pilot of a comedy show and immediately fall in love with it (Felix and Murdo, I'm looking at you for how it shouldn't be done) but I'm glad that my mum spotted this initial one-off offering from one-liner comedian Milton Jones and told me to watch it.

Already a fan of Jones this is very much in the style of his funny, slightly surreal humour and I absolutely loved it.

Based around a house that Jones and his mum (Coronation Street's Susie Blake) own and rent out rooms in, Jones is a mummy's boy and social awkward and pines for the girl in the flat but, in this episode, faces competition from smooth operator Paul who is everything Jones isn't. Milton also has to combat a pushy gas salesman and his flirtacious mother in a thirty-minute episode that mixes some cracking visual jokes, one-liners and even a fight scene into a very promising episode.

I cannot really recommend this one-off more highly and you can still see it on Channel 4's on-line on-demand service. Highlights include Jones' way of getting rid of cold callers; a scene in which he gets trapped under a bed and tries to eat some chocolates; and a date that goes hilariously wrong.

When a show can even make you laugh with a display of the words 'end of part one' before the adverts with a piece of schtick I don't want to spoil and is creative with captions for advancing the action, you know this is going to be a winner.

Please, Channel 4, commission this show for a series. It's the best comedy I've seen on television since the excellent festive delight of 'The Bleak Old Shop of Stuff'.

Excellent stuff. 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment